Sunday, September 13, 2009

What if we all got jobs and got to bed before dawn?

Then we couldn't keep experimenting with the themes we like. I have been experimenting with the Picon Biere (a smashing success wrought by O'Booze & Gin). How on Earth? It's not like I have the stuff. I mean, I have the Amer Picon replica I made, but that stuff is hell of hard to come by to use it by the ounce in beer experiments. My substitute is still not easy to source in Michigan, but a whole lot easier than real Picon. Basically, I take beer, add a bit of Amaro Ramazzotti, a bit of Stirrings blood orange bitters, and a couple dashes of Fee Brothers orange bitters.

This is GOOD.

It works with most beers, but I find it is best with a good, balanced light-colored beer. The best one I have tried is Asahi. That is right: I HAVE FOUND A USE FOR ASAHI. You didn't think it existed. Much like the only market or Foster's being clever fools looking for the authentic Outback Steakhouse dining experince, I thought the only market for Asahi was people looking for strangely shaped cans with truncal adiposity, and possibly accidental purchases. It turns out that a benevolent force has kept it on shelves all this time that I might discover it makes a fine, fine Picon Biere with two readily available ingredients, and one that can be picked up without too much difficulty from the New York market.

Try it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I was wrong! Those funny cans are Sapporo. Asahi is totally unjustifiable without ready access to good Amaro.

    ReplyDelete