Monday, September 7, 2009

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkling cocktails

My heart lies with whiskey, but I feel like I'm at my best with gin. It was, after all, my first crush in the liquor world.

We had decided upon cocktails that bubble. About a week earlier, I had stumbled on an idea that would be ideal for this. Among the tastiest drinks out there is a French 75: a shot of gin hidden in a refreshing glass of champagne and lemon juice. It's aptly named, since it seems classy from afar, but will quickly knock you on your ass like the piece of artillery for which it is named. Even tastier, though, is an Aviation: gin, lemon juice, maraschino with a hint of violet liqueur in a harmony that would be the envy of any barbershop quartet. You can see how there is some overlap here. I'm calling this an Ack-Ack, from the WWII anti-aircraft guns, and it is good.

The Ack-Ack
  • 1 T. Gin (I used Boodles to decent results, but only because I was serving to a lot of people)
  • 1 T. lemon juice
  • 1/2 T. Maraschino
  • 1/2 t. Creme de Violette (Rothman and Winter, natch)
  • 2+ T. Prosecco, the dryer the better.

Nothing fancy about the preparation. Mix everything but the sparkling wine in a flute if you can, then top it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment