Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Story So Far: Stumbling Dragon



Although I consider myself a junior mixmaster, I've had a few successes over the past few months. These are my favorites:

Sage Battle: I tried to make a sage julep here. It wasn't particularly sagey, but it turns out that bourbon is delicious. I'd like to revisit sage in the future, but I found it to be tricky the first time around.

The South Will Rise Again: The idea with this drink was to capture the platonic ideal of "swamp," without actually tasting like swamp water.



Swamp Thing (Original)
  • 3/4 oz Bourbon
  • 3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
  • Top off with club soda

Sparkling: My favorite this time was a traditional cocktail – Wikipedia claims that it was first invented in 1861. I think that choosing the right beer makes all the difference, although I suppose it would be more correct to say that it makes 50% of the difference. The recipe calls for stout, but since the stout is going to be mixed, I think that choosing one that is a bit more reserved is a good idea. I went with New Holland's "Dragon's Milk," which is technically not a stout, but is dark, malty, and a bit creamy. I prefer something a bit more bitter for drinking straight, but it worked well here.

Black Velvet (Traditional)
  • 1 part Dragon's Milk
  • 1 part champagne
Some recipes suggest that you should float the champagne on the stout. I think it's much tastier, and more attractive, to mix them.

Sweet Vermouth: I wound up putting together a variation on the Americano. Although this sounded pretty tasty by itself, I didn't have any Campari on hand, and wanted to try something a little different. I think the result is quite palatable.

Ceco (Original)
  • 3 parts sweet vermouth
  • 2 parts Becherovka
  • dash orange bitters
  • splash of club soda
If you're not familiar with it, Becherovka is a Czech bitters (thus "Ceco"). Actually, I would describe it as a clove liqueur, but the important thing is that it is tasty, and now not too hard to find in the USA. It's not nearly so aggressive as Campari, so the resulting drink is a bit smoother than an Americano. The orange bitters were suggested by my fellow mixmasters, and greatly improve the drink. No, clove+orange=tasty should not be a surprise. Both of the main ingredients are pretty sweet, so the club soda helps round things out.


No comments:

Post a Comment